Monday, February 13, 2006

The Cup

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Ms Dementia Praecox, drawn for Anita Marie Moscoso, who created this wonderful character, as a part of her Faraway series.


Ms Dementia Praecox
Holds out a cup to me.

``Don't drink it, don't drink."
A warning voice whispers in my head.

Something moves within the pale green liquid,
Something with fire in its heart.

Not like a tequila worm.
This is alive, and malevolent.

Ms Dementia Praecox
Has eyes that burn through me like flaming arrows.

`Don't drink," the voice whispers, then is stilled
As my hand curls around the cup.

I draw it close to my lips
And the worm slithers up the glass and into my mouth.

I feel it seeking the secret places in my mind,
bringing cold red light into the darkness.

In the labyrinthine coils of my disordered mind
The worm sees itself.

Ms Dementia Praecox
steals away, her work is done.

I drank my own madness from my own cup.
She merely held it for me.

3 Comments:

At 1:22 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Brilliant Gail. I have inserted the image to go with it and will post the two pieces in my Cabinet of Curiosities.

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger Believer said...

Wow, you sure know how to end a poem!

 
At 2:34 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Shiver stuff!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home